Tuesday 22 October 2013

Better Late than Never!

Hi again to all you beautiful people out there in Canada.
I began this blog a while back and then suddenly couldn't access my blog.  So, I'm hoping that it didn't already get sent and that I am not repeating myself.  If I am, please forgive me.  Forgiveness is such a great thing, isn't it.  Anyway, as with the electricity, my computer service and even my g-mail (of which my blogger is a part of) seems to be sporatic.  'Tis Africa they say.  And I guess that means to expect the unexpected.  So I will now update this blog, add a bit of news and send it off hoping everything works as I expect it to. 

I am thinking of all of you as you move from Fall into Winter.  I am enjoying the sunshine of Zimbabwe.  It is supposed to be a balmy 30 degrees Celsius plus here today.

Well, it is now official.  I received word yesterday (a week or so ago) that it is the desire of those in charge that I should remain here for the next two years.  Those in charge being the Bishop, the Principal, the Academic Dean and other staff of the College.  They are all in agreement.  As for me, I have currently committed to being here for the 2014 school year.  At the very least, that means , we Glen and I will be here in Zimbabwe until December, 2014.  We are still on track, though, to return to Canada December 3rd, 2013 and then will be returning to Zimbabwe early January, 2014 to begin the new school term.  Our initial three months contract on which we are here on Visitor's Visas ends December 3rd, 2013.  I am in process of applying for a work visa.  The work visa covers both of us although does not allow Glen to work.  It has been suggested that we apply for that before we return to Canada.  It is quite a process but I don't expect there to be any problems as the PAOZ (Pentecostal Assemblies of Zimbabwe) and the PACC (Pan African Christian College) are actually completing the application for us and walking us through it.  Then they are the ones who will take the application to Zimbabwe Immigration on our behalf.

Mid-term exams finished a couple of weeks ago and so I have been busy marking papers and grading exams. And then it is always on to preparation for the next week and before I know it, it will be final exams and then graduation time.  I have been asked by the principal to give the grad address to the students and do feel that is quite an honor. 

I am including a few pictures.  The first one is of my colleagues here at the college taking during tea time at morning break.  The next one was taken at a grist mill.  Glen and I drove Grace (my new friend who works for the Bishop and lives on the property here) to a place where she takes her sack of corn to have it cleaned and ground.  This then becomes the staple of which they make what they call Sadza.  Next I have included a couple of pictures that I took of the huts that dot the roadside and in which many people in the country live.  These pictures were taken on our trip to Bulawayo where we  journeyed to Bulawayo to visit with friends of ours this past week and had a great time.  I appreciated the break from papers and classes.  These pictures give you an idea of how many rural people live here in Zimbabwe.  One certainly finds extremes of the very rich and the very poor here in Zimbabwe.  The sadness is that the majority are very poor.  Unemployment is extremely high and the majority of people are struggling to survive and feed their families.  Many believe it will get worse again before it gets better.

I will now attempt to include those pictures and get this sent out to all of you.   

I do wish all of you a belated Happy Thanksgiving.  One almost forgets about Canadian holidays being so far away.  However, we have been reminded by family and loved ones and we certainly have so much to be thankful for.  God is good!

Love and Blessings
Marj







 

1 comment: